Monday, June 22, 2015

The Oregon Trailmix Part 2

Go Underground

Well, after an almost 3-hour drive, I finally believe I might be really close to the Oregon Caves National Monument. I twist and turn and wind down narrow country roads. I pass little farms and isolated homes as well as a few interesting roadside stands. After winding up and up and up through tight switchbacks and around narrow curves, I finally see the sign for the Oregon Caves National Monument. 

The parking lot provides a deceptive entry into the caves. I begin the long walk up the driveway to the Visitor's Center and walk past the quaint onsite lodge, The Chateau. It sat below the road, but the upper floors were high above the steep incline. It is a National Historic Landmark and can also be toured. 

I am winded and flush by the time I get to the first park ranger. After securing tickets for the cave tour, I watch a video about the history of the monument and the surrounding area. 

The time finally arrives for the next cave tour and the ranger gives the normal warnings about steep climbs, wet, slippery rocks, and no touching of the formations. 

The cave is unique because it is solid marble. There is a stream that runs through the cavern and it
actually empties into the Pacific Ocean. 

The history of the cave is really fascinating, so listen closely; you might actually learn sumtin'.
Whoo hoo! After slipping three or four times on the wet marble, I was relieved the tour had reached the first exit. I explained early on that I had to opt-out to get back on the road before dark. The next destination was Crescent City, California - home to whales and giant redwoods.

See Trees

The drive into Crescent City is lovely. The trees seem to reach up and tickle the clouds. I roll down the windows and take in a deep breath of air. The world smells a wonderful odiferous green! Crisp air, powerful rocks, and humongous trees greet me at every turn. The rocky terrain belies the majesty of these gigantic redwoods. How is it possible that a tree could stir such emotion?

I stop to ask the kind folks at the Visitor's Center in Crescent City about the best route to see redwoods and whales and am told to go to a special spot where a pod of whales hangs out right off the coast.

I immediately speed off to that location like a bat out of heaven! When I arrive, whales are feeding. I silently watch in awe. Chica 2 actually had a tear well up in her eye, but it quickly evaporated.

The Redwood National and State Parks have old-growth redwood forests. Standing next to a tree so tall you cannot see the top is very humbling. It is disturbing to think about the number of redwoods that have been cut down. Sometimes humankind can be so inhumane.

If a tree lives a few hundred years and grows to 200 feet, it deserves to live out its life and contribute to our ecosystem. There is a lovely 10-mile drive through these wonderful old-growth redwoods. The more adventurous can hike the miles of trails throughout the park. 



Ride 1
I decided it was the perfect day a drive down the Oregon coast. Why didn't I realize this would take an entire day? I amble past a variety of parks and forests, and the sand dunes at the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. Some of these sand dunes can be 500 ft. above sea level.

There are so many different park signs along the way, it is difficult to know where to stop. Perhaps I should visit the Rogue River National Forest or the Siuslaw National Forest, of which the sand dunes are a part. 

After two hours of beautiful vistas and views, I pull into the Face Rock Scenic Viewpoint. There is a legend that the rock has a woman's face etched into it and you can hear her voice screaming to be released from her captivity in the stone. I stand there straining to hear the woman's voice in the wind as told by the legend. I also had a difficult time seeing her face in the rock.  I really question the wisdom of passing so many wonderful parks to stop here. Oh, well, be happy with the choices you make. I inhale the moment, exhale, and get back in the car.

My next destination is the Sea Lion Caves located near Florence. The Sea Lion Caves have been continuously open for 80 years. After paying and making my way onto the overlook, as promised, there were a gajillion sea lions! The Steller sea lions are a rowdy group!



Many of the animals were just laid out on the rocks, much like the people you see on any beach.

There was a raft of sea lions playing and swimming just off the large rock. To the North of their playing field sat a lighthouse. Sitting on the cliff, the lighthouse looked like a sentry watching over this particular colony of sea lions.

I took the elevator down to the sea lion caves. The elevator finally stops and I step out into a large open room. I walk toward the plate glass window in a semi-trance.

There are even more sea lions down here in the cave. The water washes in and crashes against the rock. observe the sea lions' behaviors. There are aggressive ones and playful ones. There appeared to be romantic situations and jealous girls leaving in a tiff. Eventually, I needed to eat so I depart this magical place, the largest sea cave in the world. 

Feeling Cheesy

As I continue along US Highway 101, stop briefly to observe the swirling waters at the Devil's Punch
Bowl State Park. Continuing on, I drive over the Yaquina Bay Bridge and arrive at Depoe Bay, home of the Whale Watching Center. Unfortunately, it was closed, but I did get to admire the displays. There were also no whales to be seen, but the whale count posted in the window indicated two had been spotted earlier in the day.  Back on the road, I wind my way to Tillamook to spend the night and prepare for a cheese factory tour in the morning.

Up bright and early, I hop over to the Tillamook Cheese Factory, the largest cheese factory in the world! 

There's a lot of history in this place, but most importantly, there's a whole lot of cheese up in huur!  The ship out front represents the first ship in Oregon built by Tillamook residents to take their dairy products to market. Look for the VW Bus parked right in the entryway to the factory.

Inside, the cheese is the real star. This cheese has been winning awards for excellence since the 1904 World's Fair. Displays are showing the different equipment used to make cheese and of course, there is the state-of-the-art machinery used now.

Downstairs to there are free samples! I took a self-guided tour of the facilities. On the way out, make sure to stop and purchase cheese to take home. It really is exceptionally tasty, and don't forget they make ice cream too!

Feeling Beachy

The drive to Cannon Beach to see the famous Haystack Rock is so scenic. Unlike the beaches we have on the west coast of Florida, Oregon beaches are on the tumultuous Pacific Ocean. They are much closer to Canada, so the water is ccccooolllldddd!

As I head out toward the rock, I note how cold and windy the day is. Each step on the yellow sand places seems to taunt the wind. My Florida blood was too thin to continue so I admired this goliath of a rock from a distance. This is the third largest coastal monolith in the world and is home to birds and other marine life. Time to head back to Portland.





The Final March

I'm craving noodles, so I head over to Frank's Noodle House. The place serves handmade noodles as the base for some serious eating. I am ready to eat and get on the road. I have the desire to check out a unique hardware store that specializes in architectural salvage for craftsman-style bungalows. So after a filling meal, I head over to Hippo Hardware. The employees are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I am lost in bungalow heaven! How can I buy all this great hardware and get it back home? This is some pretty cool stuff; I buy a few items for my old bungalow and head out for the final march to Voodoo Donuts.

Yes, Voodoo
Donuts! These guys have created quite a unique niche for doughnuts. The tongue-in-cheek names and weird-looking doughnuts are tasty as well! Be careful, I was accosted by one of the strange, aggressive patrons who thought that day was the perfect day to bully a female. You just never know... I grab a box of doughnuts and say goodbye to the west coast once again.

Like The Traveling Muchacha on Facebook

No comments: